SEARCH THE ARCHIVE

? SEARCH TIPS
Exact phrase, enclose in quotes:
“keyword phrase here”
Multiple words, separate with commas:
keyword, keyword

The exterior view shown is from the west, and very admirably highlights the main element of the building,—the one hundred tons of Wisconsin stone which comprises the entire front of the church. This wall is built in five staggered tiers; and between them are vertical windows of stained glass, through which the afternoon sun glows in many colors upon the inside wall. These are the only windows in the auditorium and are not visible from the pews, but are only appreciated by the reflected colors which set forth the uneven surface of the front wall in bas relief. The platform descends to the floor in a series of carpeted steps which run the entire width. As the interior view shows, the baptismal font and the communion table are situated on the platform in full view of the congregation, symbolizing the truth that the sacraments are a supplement to the preaching of the Word, which occupies the center of the worship of God in Reformed churches. The auditorium is furnished with a new type of spring-cushion pews. The indirect lighting is supplemented by colored glass chandeliers. The basement features various rooms well suited for catechism and society activities, as well as a large assembly room and a modern-equipped kitchen. The entire building is air-conditioned. 

The congregation was organized in 1926 with seven families, and for two years worshipped in Lansing, Illinois in Bock’s Hall, a second story room over a hardware store. In 1928 a new church was built, without basement or plumbing, in the village of South Holland. Five years later, the congregation having grown to forty families, the church was enlarged and a basement added. The congregation now numbers some sixty families, with three of the charter members left to celebrate their fortieth anniversary: the brethren Steven Poortinga, Wm. T. Terpstra, and John Haak, Sr. 

In 1961 South Holland and her sister church in Oak Lawn, having organized a Protestant Reformed Christian School Society, began construction of a school building. This school has faithfully instructed their children in grades one to nine in harmony with the training of home and church. (If you look closely, you can see a bit of the school building in the exterior view of the church; the school is situated on four acres of land directly behind the church.) 

Two sons of the congregation became ministers in our denomination: Rev. G. Lanting, who at present is serving the church at Holland, Mich., and Rev. G. VanBaren, pastor of First Church in Grand Rapids. 

The new church was dedicated the evenings of July 19 and 20 in conjunction with the celebration of the fortieth anniversary of their existence, an account of which may be found in the Church News of this issue. 

—J.M.F.