Results 1 to 10 of 14
The subject of “Limited” or “Definite” Atonement is often the most controversial of the Five Points of Calvinism. The differences between the Calvinist and the Arminian, even on the subject of predestination come into sharpest focus at this point. Even many so-called Calvinists, who agree with us on the doctrine of sovereign, unconditional, double predestination, will disagree violently with us when we teach that Christ did not die for all, but for a “definite” or “limited” number of persons.
By the time you finish reading this column, I’m sure you will agree that the title above should read, “News From Our Schools.” The emphasis on school news is intended to be in keeping with the special theme of this issue of the Standard Bearer. “Strategy for Survival” was the theme of the Twenty-Sixth Annual Protestant Reformed Teachers’ Convention that was hosted by our Doon and Hull, Iowa Schools on October 16 and 17. Worthy of note is the fact that this was the first P.R. Teachers’ Convention ever held west of Illinois.
Approximately 120 miles north of Seattle, a mere three miles from the United States-Canada border, and only thirteen miles from Pacific waters, lies the peaceful little village of Lynden, Washington, Here, through the missionary labors of Rev. A. Cammenga in the late 1940’s, God rekindled a love for the pure, historic Reformed faith. The result of those labors, under God’s gracious blessing, was the establishment of the Lynden Protestant Reformed Church in 1951.
The title “Protestant Reformed” is very precious to the parents who call themselves by it. Not only do they demand that the preaching in the church be Protestant Reformed, but they see to it that the instruction in the home is also in harmony with the Scriptures. Since the school is an extension of the home, it necessarily follows that Protestant Reformed education is to be desired by such parents.
It was in September of 1968 that the doors of Covenant Christian High opened to admit the first group of young people of our Protestant Reformed Churches in the Grand Rapids area who were privileged to receive their secondary education in our own Protestant Reformed high school. The idea of starting that school, however, had been born long before. In the September 15, 1937 issue of theStandard Bearer there appeared an article entitled, “Our Own Christian High School.” In that article Rev.
When you begin to ponder the history of the Northwest Protestant Reformed School, three dates seem to be foremost in the chronology of the school. They are June 1, 1960, August 28, 1967, and August 10, 1977. These dates seem to be certain milestones in our history. Through the events that took place on these dates we see God’s covenant faithfulness manifested in Doon.
There are over one million children of school age in the greater Chicago area. Of these, eighty-nine attend the Protestant Reformed Christian School in South Holland. Nevertheless, while the enrollment of many of these large school systems is either dwindling or necessitating the closing of its doors altogether, our little school is growing.
The history of any Christian school is associated with the history of the church which sends its children to that school. That is true of the Protestant Reformed Christian School in Loveland. Most of this article will deal with the history of our church people and their use of Christian schools in the past. Our school itself is like many other small Protestant Reformed Schools in the West, but the history of its church is unique.
The Free Christian School is small. It was founded about 30 years ago in the small town of Edgerton, Minnesota, which has a population of about 1000. The society is made up of almost all the members of the local Protestant Reformed Church. Although only 12 families have children in school, the society is made up of 25 families. The budget of the school is set up so that one-half of it is brought up through tuition, and the remainder has to be brought up through church collections and donations.
Note: Most of the content of this article is quoted directly from an article written by Mr. Ken Schipper (former student, former Board President, and present parent of two Adams students) in the 1975 Spotlight. This school annual also served as. a commemorative booklet celebrating 25 years of covenant instruction at Adams. Due to the length of that document, much of its content could not be included here. If you are interested in that more complete history (with pictures) of Adams, copies are available at the school for a nominal fee.