Did you know that the little country town of Byron Center, Michigan had a Protestant Reformed Church from 1926-1945? This small congregation began with about 20 families and met in the Byron Township Hall. Rev. George M. Ophoff was the minister from 1929 until the church disbanded in 1945, while he was also teaching in the PR Seminary with Rev. Herman Hoeksema. About 38 years later, in 1983, under the supervision of Hudsonville PRC and the guidance of Rev. G. Van Baren, a small group of 22 families and 2 individuals were given approval by Classis East to organize again as Byron Center PRC. This small congregation worshiped for about five years in the Byron Center Christian Junior High School. In 1988, the congregation of 41 families and 7 individuals moved into the current building on 84th St. This new building was built mostly by volunteer labor, which made the move from the junior high school to the new facility all the more personal and rewarding. The current parsonage was added in 1991.
In 2008, a 25-year celebration was held, and we were honored by two former pastors preaching for us—Prof. B. Gritters and Prof. D. J. Kuiper. Our congregation has conducted four Women’s Retreats from 2006-2013 and a Men’s Conference in 2013, which were all very well attended.
In 2016, the PRC Synod designated Byron Center to be the calling church for our denomination’s home missionary. In September of 2017, Rev. A. Spriensma accepted this call and currently works with the DMC and Byron Center’s Council, searching for opportunities within the U.S. to spread the truth of the gospel.
In January 2018, Rev. A. Lanning, having labored for five years in Singapore, accepted our call to become the fifth minister of our congregation. Previous to Rev. Lanning, we were faithfully served by the above-mentioned professors, Rev. R. Van Overloop, and Rev. A. Spriensma.
Because God had blessed us with much growth, our church building became unable to accommodate the full membership. After much discussion and planning, our daughter church, Unity PRC, was established in 2019 and currently worships at Zion Christian High School in Byron Center. As these two congregations continue to grow under God’s guiding hand and the faithful preaching of His Word, we give thanks for all that has been accomplished in our midst by the power of His grace. To God be all the glory!